VISIT THE MARTHA'S VINEYARD MUSEUM
2018 Schedule of Hours
May 26 - Sept. 3, 2018
Offices: Monday - Friday, 9am-5pm
Museum Galleries and Gift Shop: Monday - Saturday, 10am-4pm; Sunday 12-4pm.
Library: Closed as of Aug 1. for collection move. We apologize for the inconvenience.
Sept. 4 - End of Year 2018
We will close the galleries in Edgartown on Labor Day 2018 to relocate the remaining collection, archives, and administrative offices to the new museum. We currently do not have an opening date in the new museum but anticipate it to be sometime in December 2018. Stay tuned!
Closed for the following holidays: MLK Jr. Day, Presidents' Day, Veterans' Day, Thanksgiving Day, Christmas Eve Day, Christmas, New Year's Eve, New Year's Day.
Due to the abnormality of this summer, admission is by donation from Memorial Day to Labor Day 2018. Members and Children under 6 remain free.
The MVM is proud to be a Blue Star Museum. Active and veteran military personnel and
their families are invited to tour the Museum for free from Memorial to
Labor Day annually with proper identification.
The MVM has partnered with MV Community Services and is happy to give veterans who present an All Island Veterans Discount Card $2 off admission year round.
Members of the Massachusetts Teachers' Association are invited to tour the Museum for half price and receive a 10% discount in the gift shop with proper identification.
Members of WUMB 91.9 FM - Boston Folk Music Public Radio get $1 off the price of a Lighthouse Combo Pass for admission to the Museum and Edgartown or Gayhead Lighthouse with your WUMB Member Card.
The MVM is proud to be a member of the American Association of State and Local History. The Museum welcomes AASLH members to tour the Museum for free with member identification.
The MVM welcomes members of the American Alliance of Museums. Members of the AAM are welcome to visit for free with your AAM member card.
The MVM is proud to be a member of the New England Museum Association. The Museum welcomes fellow members to tour the Museum for free with your member card.
The MVM is proud to be a member of the North American Reciprocal Museum (NARM) Association. Members from other NARM institutions who present a current membership card validated with a gold North American Reciprocal sticker are entitled to: free/member admission during regular Museum hours, member discounts at the Museum shop, and discounts on programming/lecture tickets.
Island Club members receive 10% savings on any level of membership of Museum (from $55 to $1,000). Island Club members also receive a buy one museum admission, receive the second admission free deal. Must present valid Island Club card.
The MV Museum is proud to present a partnership with Big Brothers Big Sisters. Membership cardholders will receive free admission to the museum when they present their card.
- Gate House: Enter the Museum here
- Cooke House: Visit the c.1740s Colonial home lived in by four generations of the Cooke family
- Herb Garden: Take in a fragrant blend of culinary and curative plants
- Gale Huntington Research Library & Archives: Research a collection of primary source materials from the 17th to the 21st century (open Tuesdays and Thursdays only from 1-4pm)
- First Order Fresnel Lens: View 1,000 individual prisms that illuminated the Gay Head Lighthouse from 1854 until 1951
- Tryworks: View a replica of the oil processing station found on the deck of a working whale ship
- Carriage Shed: Explore vessels and vehicles such as an old whaleboat, pieces of the Martha's Vineyard Railroad, and more
- Pease House Galleries & Museum Gift Shop: Wander through five exhibitions and visit the gift shop
- Ventilator/ Lightning Rod: Examine a 1900s lightning finial for evidence of being struck
- Anchor (not marked on map, located along Cooke Street near the Gate House): Study the 1900s anchor from the Schooner Liberty, an Edgartown fishing boat
59 School Street, Edgartown, MA 02539
The Museum is situated in the Historic District of Edgartown, 2 blocks from the Old Whaling Church, the Vineyard Transit Authority Edgartown bus stop, and the shops on Main Street. Our entrance is at the intersection of Cooke and School Streets. There is parking available off School Street.
There are Vineyard Transit Authority (VTA) buses that run from both ferry terminals to Edgartown. From the Vineyard Haven Ferry Terminal, take either Bus #1 (Edgartown-Vineyard Haven Road) or Bus #13 (Beach Road) to Edgartown. From the Oak Bluffs Ferry Terminal, take Bus #13. Both buses stop at the Edgartown Visitors Center on Church Street. Once off the bus, walk to Main Street, cross the street, and turn right onto School Street. From there, walk two blocks to reach the Museum.
Traveling by Car
Off street parking is available in a small dirt lot off School Street. There is also free one hour parking on School Street if the lot happens to be full. Drivers can also find limited parking on and around Main Street.