The Thomas Cooke House
Temple Phillips Cooke, who was one of the island’s earliest attorney’s, built the Cooke House between 1720 and 1740 at its present location. He and his wife Jane Dagget had five children, one of whom was Thomas Cooke. Thomas married Abigail Coffin in 1763 and lived for some time in the Cooke House. Like his father, Thomas Cooke was an attorney and would later become the Customs Officer for Edgartown Harbor. One of Thomas and Abigail’s sons, Thomas Cooke Jr., also became a Customs Officer and reportedly had his Customs Office in the front upstairs room of the house. At the time, there were fewer trees and houses, and he was able to see right down to the harbor. Eliza Cooke was the last member of the family to live in the house. She was born in Edgartown in 1792 and lived there until she was married in 1816. Upon the death of Thomas Cooke Jr. in 1820, the house was willed to one of his sons and eventually sold out of the family in 1853.