Lighthouse Visitor Guides
Lighthouse Guides are responsible for daily operations and visitor services at the Edgartown Lighthouse mid-June through mid-October. Candidates should enjoy interacting with the public and be enthusiastic about the lighthouse and Island history. Duties include greeting visitors, handling admission fees and retail transactions, and ensuring the security of the properties. The ability to climb stairs, stand for long periods of time, and lift 30 lb. is necessary. Weekend availability is preferred. Guides will report to the Martha’s Vineyard Museum. Submit letter of interest, qualifications and 2 personal references to Betsey Mayhew.
- Collect admissions income and keep accurate attendance records noting number of adults and children visiting the lighthouse. Maintain accurate cash drawer and attendance income.
- Present the history of the lighthouse and the Island in an accurate and engaging manner.
- Maintain visitor safety and structural cleanliness. Sweep stairs and landing areas daily. Monitor potential wet and slippery spots and remove any standing water.
- May also be asked to assist with private events and tours at the lighthouse.
- Must be comfortable with people, mature, responsible, and passionate about lighthouse history.