The Mission of the Martha's Vineyard Museum
The Martha's Vineyard Museum preserves and interprets collections that engage and connect the public to the Island's history, art and culture.
A Brief History of the Martha's Vineyard Museum
The Martha's Vineyard Museum was originally known as the Dukes County Historical Society. It was founded in 1922 and incorporated the following year. The founders first acquired revolutionary era documents, which started the collection.
In 1996, the Society's name was changed to the Martha's Vineyard Historical Society to reflect the main emphasis of the institution's collections which are strictly those concerning Martha's Vineyard. The only other town within Dukes County is Gosnold on the Elizabeth Island of Cuttyhunk, which now has its own museum and historical society.
In 2006, the organization decided to change its name from the Martha's Vineyard Historical Society to the Martha's Vineyard Museum. The new name was intended to better reflect the organization's mission and its extensive holdings of three-dimensional objects, archival documents, historic books and photographs, paintings, and museum exhibits.
2012 Martha's Vineyard Museum Annual Meeting
The Annual Meeting hosted August 9th, 2012 reviewed the 2011 year, recognized the work of outgoing board members, and awarded the Martha's Vineyard Medal to three outstanding people who have contributed to the culture of our Island. Visit the Annual Meeting page to hear their acceptance speeches and more.