Gift Shop Coordinator
Reporting Responsibilities: Operations and Business Development Director
Supervisory Responsibilities: Combination of volunteers/part time staff
FLSA Status: Non-exempt, Year-Round, 20-40 hours per week
The Museum Gift Shop Coordinator is responsible for expanding the Museum’s visitor experience by developing and managing a store that appropriately represents the mission, collection, and programming of the Martha’s Vineyard Museum. The coordinator will focus on exceptional customer service, planning, and management of the daily operations of the Museum shop including supervision of volunteer staffing, administrative tasks, data entry, sales reporting, visual merchandising, and other tasks as deemed appropriate.
- Responsible for the overall management of the inventory and staff of the Museum shop, maintaining an attractive appearance with effective merchandise presentation.
- Promote current museum store retail trends, and develop and maintain a merchandise mix that furthers the Museum’s programs, exhibitions and venues.
- Continually research new vendors for fresh inventory, and ensure that all merchandise is appropriately related to the Museum’s mission.
- Receive all merchandise, establish appropriate pricing, and direct all displays within the shop.
- Ensure a high quality of customer service working with all visitor services staff.
- Prepare and perform annual inventory, and analyze the results offering an action-oriented narrative on how improvements can be made.
- With the Director of Operation and Business Development, develop and maintain the annual shop budget.
- Assist in content development and updates of the Museum shop webpage, and process online orders.
- Handle other duties as requested
- 3+ years retail management experience
- Knowledge of POS sales and inventory systems
- Exceptional customer service skills and a positive attitude
- Excellent organizational and supervisory skills with attention to detail
- Possess a friendly and approachable manner with the ability to motivate and incentivize staff to achieve their best performance
- Ability to lift 30 pounds unassisted and stand for long periods of time
- Willingness to work as part of the overall Museum team and appreciate the Museum’s mision and its desire to serve the Island
The Martha’s Vineyard Museum is an equal opportunity employer and will not discriminate against any employee or job applicant because of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, physical or mental disability, or age.