59 School Street, Box 1310, Edgartown MA 02539 - 508.627.4441
Martha's Vineyard Museum MV Museum

A Finding Aid to the Irvin E. Strickland Scrapbook

Descriptive Summary

RepositoryMartha's Vineyard Museum
Gale Huntington Research Library
59 School Street
P.O. Box 1310
Edgartown, MA 02539
(508) 627-4441
Call NumberRU 506
Creator Strickland, Irvin E., 1868-1959
TitleIrvin E. Strickland scrapbook
Extent1 book (0.045 cubic feet)
LanguageThe materials are in English.
AbstractIn 1956 Irvin E. Strickland made a scrapbook of his visits to Martha's Vineyard. The scrapbooks primarily consist of photographs and news articles about the Roaring Brook and Brickyard areas.

Administrative Information

Access Restrictions

There are no restrictions.

Use and Reproduction Restrictions

Requests to reproduce material from this collection should be directed to the library's staff. Reproduction fees may apply.

Preferred Citation

Martha's Vineyard Museum, RU 506, Irvin E. Strickland Scrapbook.

Acquisition Information

Gift of Connecticut Historical Society in 1994 (Accession no. 1994.048).

Publication Information

Martha's Vineyard Museum

Gale Huntington Research Library
59 School Street
P.O. Box 1310
Edgartown, MA 02539
(508) 627-4441

Processing Information

Finding aid prepared by Joyce Cooper in December 2014 with assistance from Lara J. Ullman. Finding aid machine-encoded by Nathaniel Janick in January 2015.

 Creation of this finding aid was sponsored by the Council on Library and Information Resources (CLIR) funded by the Andrew W. Mellon Foundation.

Controlled Access Headings


  • Scrapbooks

Geographic Name(s)

  • Chilmark (Mass.)
  • The Old Chilmark Brickyard
  • Roaring Brook Grist Mill
  • Vineyard Haven (Mass.)

Personal Name(s)

  • Manter, Rebecca
  • Manter, William

Biography/Historical Note

In 1836 Smith and Barrows opened the Old Chilmark Brickyard in Chilmark, Massachusetts. When it was sold to Nathaniel Harris in 1867 there were 75 workers. By 1880 production had decreased considerably but Nathaniel Harris' sons, Charles and Sidney, continued making bricks on a smaller scale. Starting in the mid-1880s Eugene Strickland and his son, Irvin, came to Martha's Vineyard for several summers to make bricks. Irvin E. Strickland (1868-1959) of Hartford, Connecticut was the son of Eugene and June Strickland. Those summers were very memorable to Irvin. In later years he would vacation on the island with his wife Julia and their daughter Mildred. Irvin always revisited the Brickyards. He had a long career at Fire Insurance Company in Hartford, Connecticut.

Scope and Content Note

The collection has several articles concerning the Chilmark Brickyard and the neighboring Roaring Brook Grist Mill. Photographs dating between 1899-1913 show William and Rebecca Manter, who lived and worked the Roaring Brook Mill, ruins of the Brickyard; beaches at Vineyard Highlands; ferries; tugboats; and homes in Vineyard Haven. There is correspondence from 1955 between Irvin E. Strickland and Catherine, Charles Harris's daughter, regarding memories of Charles Harris and Roaring Brook. Other articles discuss a variety of island interests including cottages, sea moss, and whaling.