59 School Street, Box 1310, Edgartown MA 02539 - 508.627.4441
Martha's Vineyard Museum MV Museum

A Finding Aid to the Sons of Martha's Vineyard Collection, 1887-1892, undated

Descriptive Summary

RepositoryMartha's Vineyard Museum, Gale Huntington Research Library
59 School Street
P.O. Box 1310
Edgartown, MA 02539
Call NumberRU 425
Creator Sons of Martha's Vineyard (Boston, Mass.)
TitleSons of Martha's Vineyard collection
Date1887-1892, undated
Extent1/2 Box
LanguageThe materials are in English.
AbstractThe Sons of Martha's Vineyard was a Boston, Massachusetts based social club organized in 1887. Membership in the club was contingent upon island ties. Records dating from 1887 to 1892, document the establishment of the organization and events organized by the club.

Administrative Information

Access Restrictions

There are no restrictions.

Use and Reproduction Restrictions

Requests to reproduce material from this collection should be directed to the library's staff. Reproduction fees may apply.

Preferred Citation

Martha's Vineyard Museum, RU 425, Sons of Martha's Vineyard Collection.

Acquisition Information

The immediate source of acquisition and date of accession are unknown.

Publication Information

Martha's Vineyard Museum

Gale Huntington Research Library
59 School Street
P.O. Box 1310
Edgartown, MA 02539

Processing Information

Finding aid prepared by Insley Julier December 2012. Machine-encoded by Nathaniel Janick April 2014.

 Processing of this collection and creation of this finding aid was sponsored by the towns of Aquinnah, Chilmark, Oak Bluffs, Tisbury, and West Tisbury through the Massachusetts Community Preservation Act. Machine-encoding of the finding aid was sponsored by the Council on Library and Information Resources (CLIR) funded by the Andrew W. Mellon Foundation.

Related Materials

Related Materials

See also, the Martha's Vineyard Museum's Photograph Collection for a group portrait of the Sons of Martha's Vineyard.

Index Terms


  • Badges
  • Bylaws
  • Constitutions
  • Correspondence
  • Invitations
  • Menus

Geographic Name(s)

  • Boston (Mass.)--Social life and customs

Personal Name(s)

  • Pease, Richard L. (Richard Luce), 1814-1888
  • Peakes, James D.


  • Clubs--Massachusetts--Boston
  • Clubs--Massachusetts--Martha's Vineyard

Biography/Historical Note

The Sons of Martha's Vineyard was a Boston, Massachusetts based social club organized on 8 July 1887. Membership in the club was contingent upon Vineyard ties. According to the constitution and bylaws, only "native-born" or "adopted sons of Martha's Vineyard, or their descendants" could be elected officers and receive full voting privileges. Many members of the club were drawn from old island families including; Baylies, Butler, Chadwick, Chase, Clough, Coffin, Crowell, Daggett, Davis, Dexter, Fisher, Holmes, Huxford, Jernegan, Look, Luce, Manter, Merry, Morse, Norton, Pease, West and others. Original officers included, Leander Butler, William H. Daggett, Charles H. Robinson, James D. Peakes, Frank P. Luce and Jared W. Crowell. In addition to social functions held in the Boston area, the group also made an annual pilgrimage to the island for the July 4th holiday. The club remained active until at least 1891.

Scope and Content of Collection

The collection includes printed booklets from 1887, containing the constitution and bylaws of the organization, invitations to events, a menu and membership list from the first annual banquet in December 1887, correspondence, a copy of a poem originally published in the Vineyard Gazette, a manuscript address delivered by Richard L. Pease during the group's first annual pilgrimage to the island and several printed accounts of this pilgrimage. The island pilgrimages organized by the group included receptions, processions, addresses, banquets and dances, and reports on the planning of these gatherings and reception programs are included. Additionally, the collection contains several badges and memorial badges printed on ribbon, which may or may not be linked to the club.

It is not evident from institutional records whether this collection was artificially created by former library staff or if it was acquired and retained intact as the records of this organization. Many of the materials are addressed to James D. Peakes, who held various executive positions in the organization however other materials bear the names of other individuals, suggesting that the collection was assembled from a variety of sources.


The collection is arranged chronologically.

Collection Contents


Establishment, Constitution and Bylaws, 1887 


Invitation and Menu, Annual Banquet, 1887 December 1 


Correspondence and Circulars, 1887-1888, undated 


Address by Richard L. Pease, 1888 July 7 


Note: Reproduced in the publication, "First Pilgrimage of the Sons of Martha's Vineyard, July 4, 1888."


Reception Programs and Reports, 1888-1889 


Published account, "First Pilgrimage of the Sons of Martha's Vineyard, July 4, 1888.", 1889 


Badges and Memorial Badge, 1892, undated 


Poem, "One Hundred 'Sons' or More.", undated